What do you need in a mobile workstation laptop? There are a handful of features that you will want from any mobile workstation laptop and then there are more specific features which will be more bespoke to your job role. When choosing a mobile workstation laptop, start with the basics and then look for features that suit your needs.
Business users are driving sales of the ultra-compact premium notebooks. According to research undertaken by IDC, worldwide tablet shipments declined by 8.5% in the first quarter of 2017, making the tenth consecutive quarter in which the market contracted on a year-over-year basis. In comparison, sales of ‘ultramobile premium’ computers like the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga are expected to increase. These ultramobile notebook computers make the perfect mobile workstation laptop.
- Size – You want a light and compact laptop. The Lenovo ThinkPad X series, for example, has screens from 12.5 to 14 inches, measure 0.7 to 0.8 inches deep and a weight under 3 lbs.
- Computing power – Choose a laptop with the latest high-speed processors, such as the Intel Core i7 now packaged within the entire Lenovo ThinkPad product range.
- Memory & Storage – Make sure you have enough hard drive space and RAM to grow with your needs.
- Battery life – Go for as much battery life as you can find, such as the Lenovo ThinkPad X270 which delivers 20 hours on one charge with an internal 3-cell battery and a hot-swappable 6-cell battery.
- Connectivity – Your mobile workstation laptop should have the latest wireless technology, USB and peripheral ports, and a docking station (you should check out the Lenovo OneLink Dock range) or Ethernet dongle to connect to the company network.
- Multi-Use – Choose a laptop that will work best for your needs. Do you want a detachable screen? Then the Lenovo Miix range will be for you. Want something convertible? Then you’ll want a Lenovo Yoga. Lenovo have a wide range of traditional, 2-in-1, Thin and light, Gaming and Chromebooks to suit everyone’s needs.
Matching Features & Functions
Once you have a checklist for your basic criteria, consider what type of laptop best suits your job. Here are some of the Lenovo models that are ideally suited for different professional roles:
For a Chief Executive the ThinkPad X1 Carbon ultrabook is the perfect mobile workstation laptop. Its satellite-grade carbon fiber shell is virtually indestructible. It also is super thin and light with nine hours of runtime on a single battery charge. It also features an adaptive keyboard that can be programmed for different applications, and a multi-touch screen.
For computer-intensive applications, Lenovo has the ThinkPad P series. For example, The ThinkPad P40 Yoga convertible – it has a 14 inch screen with sharp, energy-efficient graphics. It also has an Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of memory, and a 512 GB hard drive and 3-cell battery standard. This is the world’s first multi-mode mobile workstation, featuring Yoga’s famous 360-degree hinge, it is built to last with carbon fibre and magnesium alloys. Digital artists, engineers or architects will enjoy the Wacom ® Active ES ™ pen technology for drawing and sketching.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T series is great for everyday business computing. These notebooks come with Windows 10 and optional multi-touch screen and deliver from 7 to 17 hours of power. They are moderately priced workhorses with enhanced graphics, the latest Intel Core processors, spill-resistant keyboards, and all the features you need for everyday business.
For users looking for something more versatile, the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga can operate as a laptop or tablet. The Yoga is a premium 2-in-1 convertible ultrabook for business, with four usage modes: Laptop, Tablet, Tent and Stand.
There are hundreds of laptops on the market so winnowing the field to find the right mobile workstation laptop for your office can be intimidating. If you stick with a brand you know and love, you can find the right laptop or notebook to maximize productivity.
To find out more about Lenovo and their product range please feel free to contact our specialist sales team on 0371 973 3000.